Did You Know You Can Keep Your Existing Property Tax Rate When Relocating? Discover Propositions 60, 90, & 110.
Proposition 60 allows existing home owners to purchase a new home of equal or lessor value and keep their existing property tax rate. Proposition 60 has already become law and is ideal for anyone downsizing their home. You may also benefit from similar propositions – 90 and 110.
Proposition 60 allows transfers of base year values within the same county (intracounty). Proposition 90 allows transfers from one county to another county in California (intercounty) and it is the discretion of each county to authorize such transfers.
The County Assessors will require a copy of the tax bill from the other county and a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate to be included with the application. Also include a copy of the grant deed for the new purchase and a copy of the closing statements of both sale and purchase.
- The seller of the original residence, or a spouse residing with the seller, must be at least 55 years of age, as of the date that the original property is transferred.
- The replacement property must be of equal or lesser “current market value” than the original.
- The base year value of the original property cannot be transferred to the replacement dwelling until the original property is sold.
- The replacement property must be purchased or newly constructed within two years (before or after) of the sale of the original property.
- The owner must file an application within three years following the purchase date or new construction completion date of the replacement property.
- This is a one-time only filing. Proposition 60/90 relief cannot be granted if the claimant, or spouse, was granted relief in the past.
- The taxpayer is not eligible for the tax relief until they actually own AND occupy the replacement dwelling as their principle residence.
Currently the following ten counties in California have an ordinance enabling the intercounty base year value transfer: Alameda, El Dorado, Los Angeles, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Riverside, Orange, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Ventura.
Since the counties indicated above are subject to change, we recommend contacting the county to which you wish to move to verify eligibility.
Keep Your Property Taxes Low
Maintain your existing property tax rate when you downsize your home.